Monday 21 January 2013

Elsa Mora



Elsa Mora is an artist from Cuba, now based is Los Angeles. She works within numerous medias, but her work with paper has particularly caught my eye. I have studied Elsa's work in other media, and all of her paper cutting pieces reflect her as a practitioner brilliantly. Many of her cuttings have tiny, delicate and complex designs, just like in many of her other pieces.  



This is my favourite piece of Elsa's. I have been giving some thought into how I'd like to portray myself as a designer, and in what area of work. I really like fashion illustration, so in an ideal world, I would love to be able to make something simliar to this, which is why I included this example in my blog. Perhaps I wil just experiment with the textures of the dress and hair. As well as the textures, I also find the colours very effective, and really bring out certain elements in the piece.






Another instance of a fashion orientated paper cutting of Elsa's. This looks to me like a close up of a wedding dress or maybe a gown. I really love how Elsa has combined both fashion and elements of nature into one piece. This is an idea that I would like to give a try as both topics are something I do enjoy drawing from time to time. I think to try piece with this idea in mind would be quite a successful attempt at reflecting myself as a designer I'd like to be known as. 






Again, Elsa has based this piece on nature and it's forms. I love the detail that has been put into the wings and the head of this piece.






While the pieces featured above aren't particularly 3D, I thought it was incredible just to look at the detail and delicacy of the designs. I think the patterns and carefully cut features are really beautiful! And anybody looking at Elsa's work for the first time, can quickly get a clear idea of just what to expect from her other works as she as accurately conveyed her style from her multiple media's brilliantly into paper cutting. 





I have noticed that many of Elsa's works (both featured above and other works I have studied) are fairly people based, or fashion based. I have included a number of examples of her work because she seems to revolve around similar topics as I tend to and have done in the past. I think this piece is beautiful. It's enhanced by the fact that it is made from paper. It's impressively accurate, and I love the accent of nature included once again, as the artist has included vines, flowers and dragon flies within the piece. All with a, seemingly signature, complex pattern. 

I think Elsa'a work is incredibly inspiring, and I will more than likely be referring back to her once again when it comes to experimenting with my own paper cuttings.

No comments:

Post a Comment